Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I've got the Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy

I've got the Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy
Down in my heart!
Where? Down in my heart!
Where? Down in my heart!
I've got the Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy
Down in my heart to stay!
And I'm so happy, so very happy
'Cause I've got the love of Jesus in my heart!
~
Do you remember that song from Sunday School? It's one that we sing quite often here. Alot of times when somebody is not so very happy. It really is a heart check moment. Do you have friends who make frequent heart checks just to see "how's your heart"? I do. And she gets me every time. But back to the song. It's been a topic that God has been weighing on me to consider the past few weeks. Maybe it's because I'm getting older and the world has failed to promise all that it dangled before my younger eyes and every time I go to Walmart it is more a disappointed feeling than that old high of getting something new. As people and circumstances continually refuse to fill that joy spot I realize that they were never meant to fulfill it in the first place. All over in scripture God keeps bringing me to joy verses. And your joy will be complete; for the joy of the Lord is your strength; with the joy of your presence; the joy of your salvation; Shout with joy to God all the earth; gladness and joy will overtake them; that your joy may be complete; their overflowing joy; consider it pure joy my brothers whenever you face trials of many kinds.

There is a difference between joy and happiness. Happiness is a feeling~ it is temporary. It revolves around something that happens and is not meant to last. Joy, on the other hand, is deeper. Because it revolves around God it is not based on circumstances. As I look around I see everybody consumed with trying to be happy, trying to replace joy in God for something that feels the same way. It hasn't worked so well in my life. How about yours? So the journey continues that God has me on to rid myself of all the false notions that anything but Him will bring me joy. I am learning really what that simple Sunday School song means, day by day, as I seek the Savior who it is all about. That pure joy really is found down in my heart, in Jesus' love, even in trials of many kinds as James says, not in an aisle of Walmart. To God be the glory forever and ever my friends!