*Who is it about? God or us? Who did you learn more about as you studied this passage?
Creation – God took chaos and made it order – He spoke the world into existence –
Genesis 1:16b “He also made the stars.”
*Who is the “us?” Genesis 1:26 Then God said, “Let us make man in our image.”
Triune God- Trinity - God the Father; God the Son; God the Holy Spirit
Jesus: John 1:1-3 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.
Holy Spirit: Genesis 1:2 “the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.”Psalm 33:6-7
“By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, and all the host of them by the breath [Spirit] of His mouth.” See also Isaiah 45:8
*What did Jesus do before the creation of the world?
1. Fellowship with God – John 17:5 “And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.”
2. Creating angels – Job 38:4, 7 “Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation? Tell me, if you understand . . . while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?”
Fall of Satan: “The devil was certainly created before the creation of the world. Job 38:4-7 tells us that when the foundation of the earth was laid, "the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy." These were the heavenly beings and the devil had certainly already been created.”
3. Planning for the Church. Ephesians 3:9 “and to make plain to everyone the administration of this mystery (Church), which for ages past was kept hidden in God, who created all things.”
4. Adopting us into His family – Ephesians 1:4 “For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will”
5. Preparing for the future Kingdom – Matthew 25:34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ’Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.”
6. Providing salvation for the world – 1 Peter 1:18-20 “For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake.”
*Why did God create the world? For His own glory-revealed specifically in Jesus/Gospel/Salvation/He will be praised for eternity. Scripture teaches us that God created the world and all that is in it to portray His own glory – to put His glory on display-. We are the “audience” of that glory. Psalm 19:1f; 8:1; 50:6; 89:5
*Why did God create man? To be image bearers of God Himself- reflectors/mirrors reflecting God.
This earth is temporary – God will one day create the New Heaven to be permanently established on earth, without the curse, for those who are saved in Christ.
Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
With Commentary help from: http://www.sermoncentral.com/sermons/creation-redeeming-chaos-nelson-lin-sermon-on-creation-173398.asp and http://www.learnthebible.org/when-was-satan-created.html
Bible Study credits: Terri Stellrecht http://howmysaviorleadsme.blogspot.com/