Saturday, October 24, 2009

1 Corinthians 3:19-15

Monday, December 1, 2008

1 Corinthians 3:10-15
By the Grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as an expert builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should be careful how he builds. For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man's work. If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames.

What timely words this morning from the Lord. As I had to fight my temper and emotions all day yesterday, then spent the night justifying them, I am sweetly reminded of what foundation I am trying to build my life upon. The fire only reveals what is at the core. A well of sweet water will only spill out sweet water. All that will be left is the gold.

Again, I am reminded to ponder what I am building my life with. Back up; I must first consider the foundation. I am only building upon it as God allows. Do I know, that I know, that I know that Jesus is my Savior. That it is only his blood shed on the cross that atones for all of my sins. Yes! With all that I am, I am sure of this. If nothing else, the convictions of sin confirm it. He disciplines those He loves doesn't he?

What, then, am I building with? What gold, silver and costly stones am I using? The hay and straw that will so quickly burn are easy to see-my temper, my slothfulness, my distrust of where God has us at times, my money, my disrespect (again) towards my husband, my sharp tongue against my children, etc. The gold- savoring the word of God, prayers lifted in repentance, prayers for those I love, obedience, trust. If I struggle to withstand the fire of today, how do I think I will withstand the fire of The Day? A building is not built in a day, and it also does not crumble in a day.