Saturday, October 24, 2009

Luke 6:46-49

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Luke 6:46-49
"Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say? I will show you what he is like who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice. He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete." JesusWe've all heard the story, and sang the song as kids in Sunday School. But reading the familiar verses the other day has made me ponder it in a different way. I tend to focus on the builders in the story, a parable of how we should build our lives. Another side of the story is the storm. Scripture makes it very clear that the storm will come, if it hasn't already. The salvation movement of health, wealth and prosperity in America just doesn't fit with what the Bible says. When the storm comes, the foundation will be tested and revealed. Everything will be attacked, and laid bare as to what is really there. Thoughts and beliefs of our doctrine, and who God is will be revealed. What are we really depending on? Where is our joy really found? What is our time and money spent on? What have we done with His Son, Jesus? Are we ready for eternity, and to face God? A wise builder takes the time to make the foundation firm.The scripture says in Colossians that all things grow as God causes them to grow. Sometimes the building is before the storm, so that we can endure it. Sometimes the building only comes through the storm, when we have to pick up the pieces and start rebuilding. But sometimes, the scripture says that destruction is complete. There is no time left to work on that foundation. It has caused me to look at my foundation, and the one that I am laying for my children.