Saturday, October 24, 2009

Waiting

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Waiting
1 Corinthians 7:29-31What I mean, brothers, is that the time is short. From now on those who have wives should live as if they had none; those who mourn, as if they did not; those who are happy, as if they were not; those who buy something, as if it were not theirs to keep; those who use the things of the world, as if not engrossed by them. For this world in its present form is passing away.

This was an interesting passage for me this morning. As much as I think I put Christ first in my life, it reveals again how worldly I am. We are called to be eternity minded in all we do. This world, and all that is in it, will be gone one day. The things we consider treasure here, will be burnt up. Our true treasure should be found in Christ; everything else should pale in comparison.

But honestly, I don't see too many people living as if that were their treasure; me included. It is easy to blame it on being American, and I do think there is a lot of good reasoning behind that. But, we are called to be in this world, not of the world. I struggle to separate the two. God has given us so many things here that are meant to be enjoyed. Late yesterday afternoon the kids and I went ice skating on the pond, and I had to stop and just stand in awe of God for bringing us here. For the gift of these kids and this farm, even the struggles that go along with it. In this sense, God was glorified. This world, after all, is His creation.

But overall, I find myself consumed with wanting more, and bigger and better. This is especially a nasty habit as we are remodeling. Every direction I look there is something else that needs to be done. I think if just the entry way were done, or the barn done, or this or that, then I could be happy and start living as if Christ was my first desire. What a trap! It is my pride that would be content. How would it look to live as if we were eternally minded?

I think of the account of Anna and of Simeon in the gospel of Luke. She was an old lady, daily going to the temple, just waiting to see the Messiah. Simeon had longed and waited for the promise to be fulfilled that he would see the Messiah, then he was content to die. I am sure they were considered fools for investing all their time and hopes on this one event.Is Christ enough for me? Do I live as if He is? It's time to start living with eternity in mind.