Saturday, October 24, 2009

Thoughts on Corinthians

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Thoughts on Corinthians
Still working my way through the New Testament. Lots of good wisdom to ponder in there. A few years ago we were in a Bible study on 1st Corinthians. It is nice to review it yet again.

Some of the things I underlined:8:1-3...Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. But the man who loves God is known by God.I am struggling in my walk with balancing the lovin' and the learnin'. The church we are at is a learnin' church, with virtually no lovin'. Which is worse? Knowledge without love, or love without solid teaching?

8:6...there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.So, we live for God, but live through Jesus Christ.

9:1 Are you not the result of my work in the Lord?I don't think there are too many sweeter things in life for a Christian, than to see those you have discipled and loved walk in the way of the Lord.

10:13 God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.And I have to add to this one Genesis 4:7, which Rob read last night..if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door;it desires to have you, but you must master it.These are my new prayers back to God as I struggle with all the sins that long to master me. All those little things that turn into big things if not kept in check. There are plenty of them, but God promises to provide a way for us to stand up under them. Not to remove them, but stand up under them.

10:31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.This was the first verse I memorized with the kids, when Lexi was just 3, Trent 1. It pretty much applies to all of life.

Now on to verse 11:3-16. Paul talks about women covering their heads. I thought at first that Paul was talking about long hair, but he goes on to make a distinct difference between head coverings and hair. Is this then one of those customs for that time period, or one for a Christian to follow? I don't know. Does it change salvation? No. Is it an obedience issue? I don't know.

Back to school and goat watch.