Saturday, October 24, 2009

Thought for the Day

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Thought for the Day
The axis of the earth must be changing, as the last couple of days I have been awake so early. Normally I am a night owl, and function best after 8:00p.m., forcing myself to be up by 7:30a.m. so I can have some quiet time for Bible reading and coffee. Yesterday it was 5:30, today 6:15. A.M.!I have been reading John Piper's The Pleasure's of God. I am only on chapter 1. The discussion is on God's love for the son. Here's the quote:In the same way, we were created for something infinitely better and nobler and greater and deeper than self-contemplation. We were created for the contemplation and enjoyment of God! Anything less than this would be idolatry toward him and disappointment for us.Wow! Just let that sink in a minute.Is that what your life looks like? It's not what mine looks like. I might pretend for a while that it does, and may even be able to practice it for a little bit, but ultimately we are all first concerned about ourselves, and making "me" happy. My thoughts contemplate God for a large part of the day, but deep down they contemplate my own joy and happiness first. The kids (and me) have had some hard lessons the past couple of days to learn about attitudes and putting others first. This lesson is harder when it's your brother or sister (or husband?) that you have to deal with. It begs the question "What is the enjoyment of God?". What brings Him joy? Not that we, as sinful creatures, change the ultimate character of God, but scripture does show that He is a God of different "feelings", if that's the correct way to say it. He is evidenced to be sad, angry, patient, full of joy. He does find joy in His creation. I see this evidenced in my kids. It brings me great joy to see them growing in God. But it's not only God who is full of joy when we give Him the glory and honor He deserves, Piper implies that we will find our joy only in Him, and anything else will be a disappointment. Every time we go to a store, any store, the kids always want to buy something. Now at least some of them have their own money, instead of asking for mine! But almost without fail, whatever they buy rarely makes it even out of the van before it is broke, ate, or forgotten. The things of this world glitter brightly, and we are all taken in by them so quickly. Thinking that they will bring the joy, we chase them madly. It leaves us disappointed every time.As Christians, contemplating God is to know who He is, so we will know what brings Him joy, so that ultimately we will find that joy through our obedience, and this only by the working of the Holy Spirit. Just think, we have an eternity to keep figuring out just who this God is!