Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Top Ten

Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Top Ten
I have started Romans, and honestly have to say that I have been procrastinating. I love the word of God, and try to read it every day. But...I know what's coming. I have gone through a couple of Bible studies on Romans in the past, and know how tough it can be to get through. Chapter 1 "God's Wrath Against Mankind". Kind of hard to enjoy your coffee with that kind of title.

The first thing that struck me this morning was verse 1:17. ...For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last... Our actions and how we live our lives do matter, but in the end it is going to be this righteousness that God will be looking for. It is a righteousness that was only attained on the cross. There is nothing we as man can do to attain it on our own. None of our striving will bring it. Our lives lived for God will be a testimony to this righteousness that was given as a gift. I can stop trying to earn it.

Then on to the real nitty-gritty. How we, as man, have totally denied God even while surrounded by all the evidence that He is God. Referring back to Acts28:26-27, Paul also talks about our calloused hearts. This hardening is what causes God to turn us over to our own sinful ways. We begin to see God as the fool, and make ourselves as the wise and learned, thinking we know better. Verse 28 says that since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. As we, even as Christians, neglect the word of God, it is easy to stray. I long to be a fool to my ways if it means God is glorified in it.There continues a list of how ones life (and country?) looks like when they deny God. I find myself in many of these places, and could make a list of my own.

The top ten, in no specific order:
1~Selfishness. Always me first.
2~Greed. Wanting more of the worlds pleasures, when my life is so full of clutter.
3~Laziness. Being very undisciplined in many areas of my life.
4~Bitterness. At people I think I have a right to hold grudges against for whatever offense I have built up against them.
5~Fear. Fear of the unknown, fear of the dark, fear of the future....
6~Lack of trust. Not trusting where God has me as being the right place. I would rather have the cotton candy and pony rides, than this struggle of growth in my life.
7~Disrespect. Not properly putting my husband in the position that God has ordained he should be.
8~Whining. Wah-wah-wah!
9~Grumbling. About nearly everything.
10~My tongue. What a nasty, evil muscle that reveals the true heart.

The list could go on, and on, but I'm already depressed and overwhelmed, so won't continue! Good thing I know that Romans eventually offers the hope of the Savior after all this soul searching. There is good news in the end, but first this road must be traveled. Without sin, there would be no need for a Savior.